Thursday, August 1, 2013

Epic Road Trip (Episode 6) - Class is in session! : Part II Getting LOST!

So.... here is PART II

As you have read from PART I, I left the guys at Koh Samui on the second day because I wanted to spend one night in Dannok. After touring most part of the Island, I packed all my stuff and left the hotel at around 11++am, planning to catch the 12pm ferry.


Unfortunately, when I arrived, we just missed the ferry by a few minutes (BAD LUCK #1). 

Since we missed the 12pm, we decided to grab some lunch while waiting for the the 1pm ferry.

I managed to board the 1pm ferry and was confident I'll be able to reached Dannok roughly by 7++pm later that evening. 

Some ferry shots

Onboard shot at the pier area

Leaving Don Sak

I fueled up at the petrol station near the Don Sak Pier. By then my watch was showing around 3:15pm and the sky was getting darker. I had discussed the route with Arif the night before as I didn't bring any map/gps (BAD LUCK #2). So once I've filled my tank full, I started my journey trying to get to Highway 41.



As soon as I left Don Sak, it started to rain. So I set to follow the sign to Highway 41. According to Arif, don't reach Surat Thani town, if you do, you've missed to junction connecting to highway 41.

What I didn't know (being my first time riding further than Hat Yai) was that to get to 41 before Surat Thani, I must take 44 (which leads to Krabi). I saw the signboard to Krabi but ignored it.

Then I noticed that I have arrived at Surat Thani. I started to get panicked so I stopped by at one of the Petrol Station. I asked the pump attendant how to get to Hat Yai, but they didn't speak English and don't seem to know where Hat Yai is (BAD LUCK #3).The rain was getting heavier...

I didn't know what to do so pushed on further, I figured if I ride all the way up I'll surely hit 41 somewhere. It was still raining heavily. Before I knew it, I was at highway 41....heading to Chumphon! My trip meter clocked about 180km from Don Sak, meaning I went too far up! (BAD LUCK #4)

I looked at my watch and it was somewhere in the 5pm region. Still raining, I pushed downwards until I reached a petrol station to fuel. I pushed my luck trying to ask the pump attendant about Hat Yai and luckily, one of them knew! He even drew the direction on a piece of paper asking me to find a town after a Tesco Lotus where I should turn somewhere. (GOOD LUCK #1)


I continued riding. SOLO, Without any MAPS or GPS, FIRST TIME and it was still raining..... 

I tried my level best to follow his direction but I missed the town and had to turn back. (BAD LUCK #5). Along the way, I had a CLOSE CALL. As I was riding in one of the town, suddenly my rear end lost it (slip due to the mud flowing on the road caused by the heavy rain). (BAD LUCK #6). I was thankful that it wasn't an accident! (GOOD LUCK #2)

Feeling that I was lost from the direction, I stopped by at the local 7 Eleven trying to buy a map. With my shirt and jacket all soaked with water, I tried to ask for a map but the guy behind the counter didn't understand. (BAD LUCK #7). Then, out of the blue, one girl who was paying her telephone bill suddenly approached me.... and she spoke ENGLISH! (GOOD LUCK #3). She asked me what was going on and where I was going. I told her Hat Yai, she didn't quite get it. Then I said "Thungson - Patthalung - Hat Yai - Dannok"..... Then she understood! (GOOD LUCK #4)

She told me next time, when asking for direction, don't tell your final destination but the next big town as the some of the locals have not been further away than the next big town. GOOD TIP!

After giving me direction (in drawing, with exact kilometers no less), I set out to find the elusive highway 41. To cut things short, after about an hour of riding or so, I reached highway 41!!! (GOOD LUCK #5).

I stopped by at a petrol station to change my clothes and put on some proper rain gear. I looked at my watch and it was about 6:30pm. It will get dark soon and I have another 400++km to go to Dannok. After a few moments to get my composure, I decided to soldier on!

I started riding, making my way to the South. The rain didn't stop and the day was getting darker. I reached Patthalung close to 8pm, stopped for fuel and decided whether or not to call it a night or continue riding. CONTINUE RIDING IT IS!

Again let me remind you that this was my FIRST TIME, I was riding SOLO, at NIGHT, in the RAIN.

Along the way between Patthalung and Hat Yai, the rain got heavier. Suddenly, in pitch black of the night, there was a BRANCH IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD! (BAD LUCK #8). Luckily I was able to evade it otherwise, that will be a whole different story. (GOOD LUCK #6).

Less than 50km to Hat Yai, I lost my rear end one more time! It was like riding a FISH! (BAD LUCK #9). However, I was lucky yet again to save it! (GOOD LUCK #7)

To add to another bad luck, I took the wrong exit and it took me straight to the town of Hat Yai. (BAD LUCK #10). However, I stopped by at an NGV Station, asked for direction and was on my way.

Lost at an NGV Station in Hat Yai.

After all the DRAMAS from Don Sak, I finally reached Dannok at 1130pm! What an experience. My friend who waited for me in Dannok was worried sick because I was supposed to reach there 4 hours ago! The most important thing is, I MADE IT! (GOOD LUCK #8)

The next day, after a good rest, we had our lunch in Dannok and made ourselves back to Kuala Lumpur.

Truly is an EPIC ROAD TRIP for me! A lot of DRAMAS but I learned a lot of things which made me a better border crosser. After this, I made many more trips, most of them SOLO.










DISABILITY IS JUST A WORD!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment