Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Epic Road Trip (Episode 13) - SOLO RIDE: Thousand Corners & Golden Triangle (Part 3: Golden Triangle - Ayutthaya - Chumphon - KL))

Hello Hello Hello.

Finally, Part 3, the conclusion to my most EPIC ride thus far :)

Day 6 (Chiang Mai - Golden Triangle - Chiang Mai)

I didn't have that good of a sleep last night. I kept thinking about the broken bracket for my top box. I talked to Phill and he recommended me a shop, but was contemplating on whether to weld it first and then go to the Golden Triangle or vice versa. The shop opens at 9am but practically it might be 10am before I am able to weld it. My journey today will take over 500km because normally people spend the night at Chiang Rai but I am coming back to Chiang Mai.
After a simple breakfast in my room, I decided to go to the Golden Triangle first and weld it once I'm back in Chiang Mai. So I got dressed and left the hotel at 8:00am. There was a bit of traffic jam while I was exiting Chiang Mai but soon the traffic became thinner.

 Fueling at a Petronas station in Chiang Mai





I didn't know what kind of road I will be facing today, but I hope that it's mainly straight road. That's understandable because I spent how many days and how many kilometers and God knows how many corners a few days before. I said to myself: "I don't want to even look at any more corners for at least a year". hahahaha.

Route 118 from Chiang Mai heading to Chiang Rai consists mainly of corners. Eventhough it is not as extreme as before, you still feel "Oh man.... corners... again" :P. I had to stop to put on my raincoat that day. The reason? It was around 14 degree Celcius that morning and I had my long sleeve riding shirt, my fleece jacket and my riding jacket but it was still cold. The speed acts like a windchill and halfway I couldn't stand it anymore. After I put on my raincoat, all was well.

Along the way, I came across the 'Thaweesin Hotspring', which is claimed to be the highest hotspring in Thailand.






I then encountered a strange signboard which reads "Cabbages & Condoms". I kid you not. True enough, I found the place and had to make a stop. Cabbages & Condoms is actually a complex which consists of restaurants, hotels and restrooms. Cool huh?




One of the stop that I had in mind was the 'White Temple'. Initially, I wanted to go to the Golden Triangle first and then the 'White Temple'. However, since the white temple is located along Highway 1 heading to Chiang Rai, I stopped there first to take some photos.




For those of you who don't know, the Wat Rong Khun (or White Temple) is an interesting place to visit. It is what people call "A Buddhist Temple inspired by Science Fiction". From the outside, it is an amazing piece of structure with it's white and silver gleaming under the sun. Inside however, it is a whole different story. Read more about it below:



A few snaps here and there and I'm gone. I stopped by for fuel not far from the temple, had some coffee and continued my journey. I met a biker from Bangkok on his versys doing a single-bike ride with his wife to Laos. He greeted me and congratulate me as well on my solo, first time journey :)

The road surrounding Chiang Rai was quite busy with lots of traffic lights. However, as I rode further north, it became less hectic. I suddenly saw a 'Gigantic' signboard for a Muslim Restaurant. A first. I've never seen this before. So, without any arguments (with myself :P ), I stopped by for lunch.
 




Time to continue with my journey. No drama along the way as I finally arrived at the Golden Triangle. Here's a little bit of history lesson. 

* A lot of people just view the Golden Triangle as the meeting point of three countries (Thailand, Burma and Laos), however, the story goes further than that. Before becoming a tourist attraction, this place was the main opium growing areas *







Next stop was the 'Hall of Opium'. Another 'must visit' place that shows the history of Opium and what measures were taken to overcome this problem.





After the photo sessions there, I went to Mae Sai, another border town between Thailand and Myanmar.


Time to go home. I backtracked the route I took to get here. Other than Highway 4 heading South, this is the only time I am using the same route to-and-from.
 


I arrived in Chiang Mai around 4pm and went straight to the shop recommended by Phill. Unfortunately, the guy said he didn't do any welding (in a strange, hand-gesture-like language because he can't speak English). So with a heavy heart, I went back to the hotel because I was dead tired from the journey today.

I took a shower, prayed, got dressed and point my GPS to a masjid to get some food. Along the way, I saw a motorcycle shop (kapcai or small bike). I stopped by hoping that they can do something about my bracket. It was around 6:30pm and was getting dark. Initially the owner said his boy can do it. Then after further inspection, he couldn't because my bracket was made from aluminum and require a special welding. The owner told me to come again tomorrow at 9:30am and the process will take about an hour or so.

That night, I was determined to temporary fix the bracket because I don't want to delay my journey tomorrow. I will need to travel about 700km from Chiang Mai to Bangkok and that will take in access of 8 hours as I will be encountering Bangkok traffic. So, I bought myself a couple of pocket knives (the thinnest one piece steel-or-sort-of that I could find in 7-Eleven) and tried my best to tie it to my topbox bracket.





I experienced an all time low... My bracket was still broken, at two places now. Uncertain whether it can be fix tomorrow. Just realized that I'm running low on cash. Plus I have about 700km to cover tomorrow and I don't want to arrive in Bangkok at night. The fact that I was on my own made me feel so helpless.

Fortunately for me, I have my wife who is always supportive and knows how to help me up when I'm down. Talked to her (via Whatsapp) and she told me to take it one step at a time. Solve the problem one by one. That cheered me up and I went to bed hoping for a good sleep tonight.


Day 7 (Chiang Mai - Bangkok)
This morning will determine everything (sounded so dramatic right there). I got ready, went to the hotel and politely asked them if they can hold on to my panniers while I find a place to fix my bracket. They agreed and I checked out of the hotel. First agenda was find a place for me to withdraw some money. My wife whatsapped me the address of three nearest CIMB. My task was to find one, and I did. Alhamdulillah, one down.

Next agenda was going back to the small bike shop and getting my bracket fixed. I think the owner somewhat expected me and he asked his boy to dismantle the bracket. Apparently the welding had to be done elsewhere. What I didn't expect was for his boy to rode off with my bike! errrrkkkk! Somehow I have to keep my faith.


While waiting for them to finish the job, I found a nice little cafe across the street. Ordered some Earl Grey Tea and waited. The cafe was a nice little joint run by a nice couple. The guy is a musician and they have a jamming studio somewhere at the back. Pretty cool.


 
 



Finally, the bracket was fixed! I told them to brace the bracket and they did. I quickly rode back to the hotel, got my panniers and try to find my way out of Chiang Mai. It was around 2:00pm and I was 5hours behind schedule with 700km to cover. I just rode and prayed for the best.

I took it one town at a time. Passing through Lampang, then Kamphaeng Phet, then Nakhon Sawan. By the time I reached the 200km mark to Bangkok, it was already dark. I tried my best to avoid riding at night but nevertheless, I have to keep going.

Around 40km to my destination, I realized that I have reached Bangkok with all the intersections and different highway. I followed the GPS strictly and it brought me to a highway. It seemed weird to me because as I entered the highway, cars behind me were giving me high beams and some blared their horns. I didn't pay attention because I was more concern of my fuel. It has been blinking some 15km ago. As I rode slowly on the highway, I found that weird feeling again when I failed to see any motorcycle. Just cars, pick ups and lorries. Then it really hit me when I saw a signboard that said "Tol Plaza next 3km"!!!!!! I tried to exit the highway but I couldn't. I arrived at the Tol Plaza, trying to find my way across when I saw a space between the Tol Plaza and a lorry. I squeezed my way and quickly open up the throttle. There was an exit 1.5km ahead and I didn't wait for any invitation.

After I exit the highway, I found a petrol station. Filled up and called my friend, Dr. Chai. He told me that it was ILLEGAL for a motorcycle to travel on that highway. I was so fortunate there were no cops!

I made my way to his house and arrived there at 10:15 pm (2 hours behind schedule due to getting lost, etc). He showed me my room. I showered, prayed and followed him for dinner. I went to bed feeling relieved that I made it. :)

Day 8 (Bangkok - Chumphon)
The next morning, I woke up smiling. We had an early morning because I asked Dr Chai's kind favor to take me to see the Ayutthaya Historical Park. The Park was 55km away from his house so we left at 7:30am.




We arrived at Ayutthaya around 9:00am. We visited the Ayutthaya Museum to get some information:

 
 

After getting the info we need, we went straight to the Historical Park. Amazing place that is. The place used to be the second Siamese Capital after Sukhotai. You can imagine that it was very majestic during it's glory day before it was destroyed by the Burmese.









As we wondered the ruins, I couldn't help but noticed that the Burmese decapitated the head of every single monk statues. They didn't touch the Buddha statues, only the monks. They didn't destroy it, just beheaded each and every one of them.

 


We then took pictures at the famous Buddha head before making our way to the Ayutthaya Floating Market.





Ayutthaya Floating Market is not like the one in Hat Yai. This market is more modern and commercialized and sells a lot of things, not just food. I think the one in Hat Yai is more authentic.



 






After all the photo session, we went straight home. I then got myself ready to ride to Chumphon. That is another 550km or so and will take me over 6 hours. I left his house at around 1:00pm and followed the route that he recommended. Not the one shown by the GPS. According to Dr Chai, the GPS route takes me through the center of Bangkok and I will surely get stuck in the traffic jam.




However, what I didn't expect was the 'easy' route exiting Bangkok was quite terrible. 3 Lanes higway containing 5 cars per row because the pick up trucks are riding on the road shoulder. It's not just me with the panniers, even small bikes found it hard to squeeze through. To make things worst, it was hot and sunny.... I mean extra hot. It took me 2 hours to clear 60km!!!!

As soon as I reached Samut Songkhram and Petchaburi, I couldn't be happier to see Highway 4. Stopped for fuel and re-hydrated myself, then pushed on to Chumphon. Because I lost an hour plus trying to exit Bangkok, I arrived at Chumphon at around 8:00pm. Checked in to my favourite hotel in the city, showered, prayed, got dressed and was ready to get my dinner.



That was when I found out the shop in Chiang Mai didn't screw my bracket properly and 3 out of 4 screws are badly loose. I didn't want to think about it so I left it be and went for my dinner.


Before I went to bed, I sat down and thought to myself. I was supposed to spend the night in Dannok tomorrow but somehow, I got this gut feeling that I shouldn't. So, I whatsapp'd my good friend Syed and told him I wanted to spend the night at his place. I will be arriving in Padang Besar some time around 4:00 - 5:00pm.

Day 9 (Chumphon - Arau)
I woke up that morning feeling a bit down, but that did not deter my spirit. I went down to the parking lot to access the damage. One bolt was unusable due to damaged thread. Two bolts are badly loosen. Only one was secured. I tried my best to secure all the bolt. Packed my bags, got dressed and checked out of the hotel.



 Traveling down from Chumphon was pretty academic because I did it before. However, during a fuel stop somewhere before Surat Thani, I found out that I lost one bolt. One was loose but two were fairly secure. So I used the most adequate tool that I had at that time, cable ties. I secured all three bolts and cable tied wherever necessary and moved on.



Upon reaching Sadao, I noticed something weird. The police conducted roadblock but instead of letting all motorcycle pass, they were stopped and inspected one by one. The police let all the cars pass through. When it came to my turn, I flipped my visor and was ready to take out my documents, but the police let me through. Strange. Normally they would check the cars and not the bikes.

I made my way to Padang Besar. Crossed the border normally. Smiled and talked to some of the locals. As soon as I was on Malaysian soil, I looked for a restaurant. Turned on my phone and that was when I received the news. From my wife to my friends, everybody warned me to stay away from border towns because there were three blasts earlier.
 

Alhamdulillah. I was thankful I didn't stay at Dannok. I met up with Aye and Syed, had some drinks and we went to Syed's house where I spent the night.






Day 10 (Arau - HOME!!!!)
Last stretch. This was it. HOMEBOUND. I left as early as possible. At 7:30am I left Arau and made my way south to my Wife. It took me about 5 hours, no drama. My wife greeted me at home. I'm so thankful that Allah has kept me safe and made my journey successful. I'm back in the arms of my loved ones.








I completed my mission! Completed the Thousand Corners, visited all the places I wanted to visit.
Surat Thani Night Market, Kanchanaburi, Mae Sot (Myawaddy), Mae Hong Son, Pai, Chiang Mai, White Temple, Golden Triangle, Mae Sai, Ayutthaya and may more!

SOLO, FIRST TIME, ONE LEGGED!!!


Most importantly, I don't think I can achieve this without the continuous support from my WIFE. Thank you so much LOVE! :)


* DISABILITY IS JUST A WORD! *
 
<<< Backtrack to PART 2

6 comments: