Thursday, August 1, 2013

Epic Road Trip (Episode 6) - Class is in session! : Part I Koh Samui

Time for another FLASHBACK!!!! 

After getting acquainted with my new bike, MEDUSA, it's high time to get her to rack up some mileage.
Of course who better to do it with then the legendary 'back-then-dakar-but-now-RJ' Rider. 

>>> Read about his stories HERE <<<

It all started with a conversation between us and me being a beginner in crossborder riding, I read all about his stories and wanted to learn. So, CLASS IS IN SESSION! :)

The destination was Koh Samui, Thailand and we began the journey on 6th July 2012 at around 3am.

I arrived early with Medusa as I was really excited. Arif a.k.a RJ told me to sleep at around 8pm and then wake up at 1am but I couldn't sleep up until 1030pm and even then, I woke up every half an hour with a total of 1.5 hours of sleep. FEELING EXCITED!!!!



About half an hour later, Arif arrived and to my delight, we were joined by Mig, another hardcore border crosser. It was raining but that didn't phased me at all as I was really excited about this trip :)



We weathered the storm to our next fuel stop which was R&R Sg Perak, approximately 200km away. We stopped for about 5-7 minutes only to fuel up.

This was one of the tip for covering vast amount of mileage. Don't stop for too long during fueling else you'll get tired quickly. You still have a long way to go.


We later proceed to the next stop which was R&R Gurun which was another 200km for fuel. It was around 6:45 when we arrived and it wasn't raining anymore.


We managed to cross the Sadao border early (around early 8am) according to our plan so there wasn't much crowd.

This was another tip, cross the border early if possible before 8am to avoid long queues. 

We then rode off straight, heading towards the Don Sak Pier. We turn off to Highway 4 just before Hat Yai. Along the way, I felt really tired and can't seem to open my eyes, I signalled to Arif and he showed me one of the best resting place around.... A bus stop! :)



After 15minutes of power-nap, I was all refreshed and ready to continue. We rode along highway 4 and somewhere near Phatthalung, I fueled Medusa for the first time in Thailand


Arif: "Brah, is that petrol or diesel?" ahahahaha :P

Somewhere around Nakhon Si Thammarat, I signalled again because my leg were cramping.We stopped by for a short rest.





We arrived at Don Sak Pier around 1130am, just about time for the 12pm ferry. We covered around 900km about eight (8) hours. I can't believe it myself! :)



Fueling up just before the Pier

We board the ferry heading to Koh Samui. Now we can finally have our rest just before our holiday begin! :)
For the love of me I can't remember the name of the ferry or how much it cost as this trip was done over a year ago.


Buying ticket for the ferry.




Some shots on the ferry

As soon as we arrived at the Island, we had ourselves something to eat before riding to the hotel.




We checked into this very nice hotel somehwere around Chaweng Beach and it was quite cheap. Took a shower and ready to go sight-seeing around Koh Samui. :)




We decided to walk as it wasn't a huge area to cover. You can see some of the sceneries from the pics I took below:









 As we were enjoying our drinks, it started to rain....heavily... at the beach. 






 After the rain had subsided, we walked to find a place to have our dinner. We found this small Muslim restaurant and the food was very good




The next day, Arif took us to a very nice place for breakfast. According to him, the locals go here for breakfast everyday before going to work. How he knows about this place was beyond me :P





And then we went to this place called GRANDFATHER & GRANDMOTHER ROCKS. I'll let the pictures tell you the story :P






Then we rode to the other side of the Island to another beach. According to Arif, a lot of Russian tourists love to stay here. I'm just there for the view man! :P









Like I said, I was there for the view :P




We headed back to the hotel where I decided to go back to Dannok later that evening. That was when all things went haywired! Stay tune for part II and read why CLASS WAS DEFINITELY IN SESSION..... 


To be continued.... 

2 comments: